- The ‘Drudge Report’ highlights some of the top stories from around the world in a basic & quick to read format
- Its got a HUGE readership: over 15 million hits in the past 24 hours!!! and over 4.5 BILLION hits in the past year
- This tiny little freeware utility lets you cut and paste any part of your screen
- You can cut rectangle/squares, or do freehand cut and pasting
- You can cut with/without borders and define border thickness + colour
- V Cool 🙂
- Simple, little article about blogging for profit
- In summary, it recommends doing a bit of ‘blog promotion’ to get lots of users to your site, rather than just doing lots of posts to get your site to the top of blog directories
The BBC do a weekly caption competion. You can see the archive here.
- The BBC do a weekly magazine item listing ’10 things we didn’t know last week – you can see the archive here
- Some examples… ‘Scouting for Boys by Lord Baden-Powell is the fourth bestselling book of the 20th Century, after the Bible, the Koran and Mao’s Little Red Book’
- ‘We each get a completely new skeleton every 10 years, because of cell renewal’
- ‘Spiralling obesity rates are forcing councils to upgrade their crematoria, to take wider coffins.’
- ‘It is cheaper to ship waste from London to Shenzen in China than it is to send it by road from London to Manchester.’
- Tolkien’s son has completed a book from some of his dad(JRR Tolkien)’s manuscripts – see more at the BBC
- The book is on sale now
- WordPress have just joined forces with Box.net to give us a cool widget to let people download big files
- You can see an example and learn more here
– VERY cool site where people send in postcards with their secrets written on the back
– Some are quite intense/adult in nature (you have been warned!)
– Cards are usually done in quite an arty way
– Site claims it is ‘the largest advertisement-free Blog on the Web’ (hit counter shows 74 million + visitors)
Click here for general how tos and here for instructions on making things
Two fun and useful how tos/instructions sites are Instructables & WikiHow. Both have loads of articles on different topics. Instructables focuses on making things while WikiHow covers a broader range of how tos. WikiHow has over 18,000 articles.
Digg is a GREAT place to go to find out what cool/interesting/fun sites people have come across. Its a major (ranked 88th most popular site in the world! at Alexa.com) ‘social bookmarking’ site, where members submit ‘content’ (weblog posts, news articles, etc.) Other users then check out the content themselves and if they like it they ‘Digg’ it.
Mortgage refinancing can “substantially slash mortgage repayments” – this article details five easy to follow steps to help you get the best mortgage rate you can, and to pay your mortgage off early.
Scientists are predicting that in the very near future (within 5 years) we’ll have robots for things like child-minding, care-home work, and prison monitoring! This is according to an article in the Daily Mail, a large UK national daily paper… “Are we safe from robots that can think for themselves?”
The BBC also have some interseting articles on this subject. An article written yesterday talks about future robots being autonomous, decision making machines. It also talks about ‘robot rights’! amongst other things. There are some other good robot articles in the right hand column as well.
If you want to do a bit of ‘blog marketing’ and get your blog known, there’re a whole bunch of blog directory sites where you can get your blog listed. There’s a good list of them at Google, and another list here from IsPopularOnline. The IsPopularOnline site also has a big list of sites (on the same page) where you can submit the RSS feeds from your blog.
(a few of the links seem to be down, but most of them are good)
Time turns friends into enemies, enemies into friends… Time builds Love, Loyalty and trust. The full poem is here. Enjoy 🙂
Very funny comic stip 🙂 – this is probably a familiar sight (in some form or another) to most people out there…
Possibly not what you’d expect from the title, this is a short, but uplifting little post.
Great post and very interesting site ran by a guy called Ririan.
Check out this little funny… (not a full comic, just a little one pager)
DownThemAll is an awesome free Firefox extension that lets you download all the pictures and/or videos that a page links to, with a click. It only downloads from links that are part of a series, so it won’t pick up banner ads etc, and its also got a built in download accelerator!
I’ve been using it for a while now and it gets a big thumbs up from me 🙂
Majorgeeks.com have a list of ‘must have’ freeware for a whole bunch of uses. They highlight their picks based on whether they’re suitable novices, intermediates, or ‘Majorgeeks’ – very helpful 🙂
I just found a great series of free lessons by a professional blogger on blogging for newbies.