- The ‘Drudge Report’ highlights some of the top stories from around the world in a basic & quick to read format
- Its got a HUGE readership: over 15 million hits in the past 24 hours!!! and over 4.5 BILLION hits in the past year
- The BBC do a weekly magazine item listing ’10 things we didn’t know last week – you can see the archive here
- Some examples… ‘Scouting for Boys by Lord Baden-Powell is the fourth bestselling book of the 20th Century, after the Bible, the Koran and Mao’s Little Red Book’
- ‘We each get a completely new skeleton every 10 years, because of cell renewal’
- ‘Spiralling obesity rates are forcing councils to upgrade their crematoria, to take wider coffins.’
- ‘It is cheaper to ship waste from London to Shenzen in China than it is to send it by road from London to Manchester.’
- Tolkien’s son has completed a book from some of his dad(JRR Tolkien)’s manuscripts – see more at the BBC
- The book is on sale now
– 10 or so ‘Laughter quotes’ at Sugar Shock
– e.g. ‘He who laughs, lasts!’ 🙂
– VERY cool site where people send in postcards with their secrets written on the back
– Some are quite intense/adult in nature (you have been warned!)
– Cards are usually done in quite an arty way
– Site claims it is ‘the largest advertisement-free Blog on the Web’ (hit counter shows 74 million + visitors)
ScienceAhead have a list of the ‘Top 10 Artificial Technologies Ready to Create a Real Human Being‘.
*Click here for concert tickets site (StubHub)*
StubHub is a site that lets you buy and sell concert tickets (and sports/theatre tickets) online. Its a peer-to-peer style system a bit like e-bay (in fact was bought by E-Bay in Jan this year,) so you also get the security of a big company being involved in the buying/selling.
Click here for general how tos and here for instructions on making things
Two fun and useful how tos/instructions sites are Instructables & WikiHow. Both have loads of articles on different topics. Instructables focuses on making things while WikiHow covers a broader range of how tos. WikiHow has over 18,000 articles.
*Click here for multiple intelligences article*
I like the way people are starting to think of intelligence in different ways. Instead of just the traditional IQ style intelligence, people are now talking about emotional & bodily intelligence etc.
*Becoming/being self-employed article here*
Especially aimed at web-workers, a nice little summary of ‘best practices’ for the self-employed is available at WebWorkerDaily (lots of other interesting posts here as well.)
*Low calorie food pics here*
Someone’s put together a collection of pictures that show what 200 calories of food looks like. They start off with a picture of loads of celery and work all the way down to a tiny bit of oil in the bottom of a glass. The pictures were taken with the same camera and using the same setup, so the portion sizes can be easily compared. V cool!
Get some free traffic to your blog / web site (through a site called ‘ipings’.) All you do is fill in 4 boxes on a form (name, URL etc), and click submit. When you do, a bunch of sites get notified that you have new content for them to come and index. Its a dead easy way to increase traffic to your web site / blog.
**WARNING! – you should only use the service when you add new content to your site. Pinging without having new content “probably will get you banned or ignored”!!
If you want to know about how the site works and what happens when you ‘ping’, check out the ‘about‘ and ‘to ping or not to ping‘ pages. Well worth reading IMHO – there are good explanations of how web spiders work and how pinging can help you get listed on major search engines!
Digg is a GREAT place to go to find out what cool/interesting/fun sites people have come across. Its a major (ranked 88th most popular site in the world! at Alexa.com) ‘social bookmarking’ site, where members submit ‘content’ (weblog posts, news articles, etc.) Other users then check out the content themselves and if they like it they ‘Digg’ it.
Mortgage refinancing can “substantially slash mortgage repayments” – this article details five easy to follow steps to help you get the best mortgage rate you can, and to pay your mortgage off early.
Scientists are predicting that in the very near future (within 5 years) we’ll have robots for things like child-minding, care-home work, and prison monitoring! This is according to an article in the Daily Mail, a large UK national daily paper… “Are we safe from robots that can think for themselves?”
The BBC also have some interseting articles on this subject. An article written yesterday talks about future robots being autonomous, decision making machines. It also talks about ‘robot rights’! amongst other things. There are some other good robot articles in the right hand column as well.
If you want to do a bit of ‘blog marketing’ and get your blog known, there’re a whole bunch of blog directory sites where you can get your blog listed. There’s a good list of them at Google, and another list here from IsPopularOnline. The IsPopularOnline site also has a big list of sites (on the same page) where you can submit the RSS feeds from your blog.
(a few of the links seem to be down, but most of them are good)
The BBC have reported on the discovery of a new mineral which was described in the film Superman Returns as Kryptonite! See for yourself here. Does this mean the real Superman is out there as well?!?!? lol
Very cool video about how small the world is. Not your normal kind of ‘its a small world’ – this video shows how small the earth is in comparison to other planets and stars (almost 100,000 views and 4 star rated at YouTube.)
Car Insurance is a big area these days with loads of companies to choose from. There’s a site called reviewcentre.com that lets users rate companies on different criteria, then shows them all in a list. If you’re looking for car insurance it may be worth having a look here. The AA look to be one of the best rated – if you scroll down the list, they’re the first company with more than 10 reviews and they manage a decent rating of 7.7 (at the time of writing this.)
The site also has reviews for a ton of other stuff 🙂